The ASC, through the Swaziland Democracy Campaign, is standing in solidary with others to call for respect of human rights, democracy and freedom for political prisoners in Swaziland, and will be supporting the upcoming global week of action in September.
The Global week of Action for Democracy in Swaziland, is an annual global campaign in which all human rights and democracy loving Swazis and internationals draw attention to and critique the so called independence of Swaziland, the last absolute Monarchy in the World. Not many people know that in Swaziland the constitution falls under the King who still has the power to rule by decree. The complete lack of democracy, respect for basic human rights, good governance and rule of law has continued to define the face of Swazi politics for the last 41 painful years. There is a 63% poverty rate and a 52% unemployment rate coupled with a deep-seated economic divide between the filthy rich, royally connected few and the scavenging powerless commoners , which has widened to skull breaking levels of late. The imminent threat of the loss of more than 20,000 textile jobs due to the defiance of his majesty`s government, promises to exacerbate this dire situation to levels unheard off in the history of this great nation.
Aims of Global week :
1. To educate every patriotic Swazi about his or her moral and political duty to act in dire situations like today
2. To rally the region, continent and world at large about the urgent need to isolate his majesty`s Government, and demand the return of AGOA, the release of all prisoners of conscience, the return of exiles and most importantly, the democratization of our beloved country Swaziland.
Table of Activities
1. March on the 4th of September in Mbabane demanding 5000 new Jobs every year for the next five years
2. March on the 5th in Manzini demanding the return of AGOA and respect of rule of law
3. Sports Bonanza On 6th in Manzini in honor of fallen Swazi revolutionary Martyrs